Friday 17 June 2011

Reflecting on Life on Earth Retold auditions

I had a fantastic time on Monday, seriously. Yes it was knackering, and yes I nearly choked to death in the West Yorkshire Playhouse canteen thanks to a suspicious piece of Feuille de Chene, but that's called Suffering for Your Art...!

"Yes I'd like to have a go at Spike please..."
I just wish it hadn't been so formal. Obviously these things are, to a certain extent, as it's essentially a 'job interview,' but there's a part of me that was, and still is, tempted to hold auditions in the pub, over a tumbler of Advocaat. Without lettuce. That said - I'd probably end up with Mr Blobby playing Spike and Crystal Tips playing Sadie, and then where would we be.

What can I say? Apart from disliking the formality, it was a day of Firsts. And my first First is an uncomfortable First. Two actors both went for the same role, (I understand this is often the case at auditions.) They were both exceptional, and in different ways. A complete dilemma, and an agonising final decision, which I am delighted with, and gutted about, gutted because it meant turning the other person away. This I did not enjoy.

My second First was meeting some new people, (for the first time), one of whom spoke fluent Blake's 7, and another who'd heard of Big Finish, proof, if any were needed, that there is indeed a God. I never thought I could laugh so hard, and so - grr - formally. But it was all good. Butter! Jiggy baby!

I must thank Kenneth Barker and Mike Thackray who were kind enough to help on the day, providing excellent company and moral support. Also a huge thank you to the attending thesps, especially those who came from afar!

So now - I've made my decisions, the actors have confirmed, I'm no longer chocking on lettuce, and we enter the scary, uncertain period of pre-production, where Anything Can Happen. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment